Friday, October 8, 2010

My First Car - 1986 Mazda B2000

Quick post this morning to make up for falling asleep on the couch last night!  This is my very first car- a 1986 Mazda B2000 long bed pickup.


That's me, on graduation day, thinking I was the coolest thing on four wheels!  Forget all of the talk of air suspension, body drops, custom body work, and billet wheels- this was 1995, and I worked at McDonalds!

Here's a quick list of the mods on this custom ride: I pulled all of the leaf springs out except for the main leaf, then added 3" lowering blocks to ensure that the rear axle was sitting hard on the frame- no suspension travel at all!  Up front, I started by cranking the torsion bars all the way down, but I never read about re-indexing the torsion hangers, so I actually dragged the bars all the way off on a speed bump at school!  So, no suspension travel up front, either!
Those wheels you're feasting your eyes on are 14" stock LX chromies, wrapped in 195/60-14 tires!  Only the best for this ride!  Inside, the "stocker is cheaper" look continued, with a factory tape deck wired to a small Clarion amplifier for two pairs of 4" coaxial speakers.  Of course, a mini has to have some bass, so a custom box with four Pioneer 8" woofers sat behind the seat.

I learned a lot with this truck- mostly about how NOT to modify a vehicle!  But I had a blast cruising around Sacramento with my friends, and it never left me stranded.  These Mazdas are so cheap now, I think I'll add one to my "must build" list for the future- I'd love the opportunity to build one the right way!

3 comments:

  1. So you had a 1986 Mazda B2000? That’s awesome! My brother actually has this car. He loves this because it is very reliable, easy to fix, and fun to drive. And this car handles pretty good, even though the steering had been damaged. In fact, this car is still in his garage. Anyway, what car do you have now?

    >Carry Bacot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, it wouldn’t it be fun to modify our vehicle? The idea of sprucing up our vehicle is quite exciting! You want to upgrade it to make it more like you. Maybe because we want our car to have the same personality like ours, so we are incorporating things that relates to us.

    ~Leisa Dreps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I saw your photo by chance in Google images. This photo makes me so nostalgic about the good old times...I really like the feeling of it. Do you mind if I use it as a cover image in our ads? Sorry to bother you about that.

    ReplyDelete