Friday, October 1, 2010

Last Look - The Definitive Minitruck

My first ride when I was a teen was a minitruck.  A 1986 Mazda B2000.  I lowered it WAY too far (the wrong way), put skinny tires on the stock chrome wheels, and rolled it with pride everywhere!
Since then I've owned around 60 other vehicles, but I still love the mini truck style- stupid low, tucking wheels, with wild paint... basically, the less practical you can make a truck, the better!

In 1996, this Toyota pickup was featured on the cover of Minitruckin' Magazine.  It's called Last Look, and it basically set the bar for what a minitruck should be, and then some...
Just look at the attention to detail throughout this thing- every surface is airbrushed, tweeded, polished, or wrapped in carbon fiber (which was VERY exotic at the time).  The engine is fully detailed, the bed is smoothed out... even the interior floor has been smoothed and airbrushed!

I've owned a few minitrucks since that first Mazda, but I don't think I'll ever own something built to this extreme level- it would just be too nice to drive, and I wouldn't be able to resist!

I hope you'll click on these pictures to view the larger versions- the detail shot of the hood just blows me away every time... it must have taken them hours to lay out all of that artwork!

This truck fell into the hands of some folks who didn't truly appreciate the work that went into it, and it wasn't very well cared for, until a gentleman in Arizona picked it up just a couple of years ago and began restoring it to its former glory!  He's keeping it as true as possible to the original design, and I respect the hell out of him for preserving a piece of automotive history!

Be sure to check back tomorrow for another vehicle that you don't see every day!

2 comments:

  1. IfItsGotWheels.com is doing the repair/paint work on Last Look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they've done a beautiful job of restoring Last Look to her former glory! Some of the photos of the damage previous owners had done to the bumper and roll pan were painful to look at, but a lot of love and talent went into bringing this classic back!
    Visit www.ifitsgotwheels.com and check out the Projects forum for some excellent Before and After shots of the restoration work.

    ReplyDelete