Monday, October 4, 2010

80-Series Toyota LandCruiser - My Suburban Safari Vehicle

The 80-series 'Cruiser was the last "real" LandCruiser we got here in the United States.  Solid axles front and rear, a straight-six under the hood, and true off-road capability, with some nice luxury touches thrown in.  The next generation, the 100-series, went soft- independent front suspension, V8, lots of well-placed cupholders... you might as well buy American!

My 'Cruiser was bought new in 1997 by my parents.  It's a 40th Anniversary Edition, which came in a special sage metallic color with black chrome emblems, two-tone leather interior, and a nifty badge on the center console denoting its special-ness!


As great as this vehicle was from the factory, I've never been one to leave well enough alone!  And so, when this beauty became mine in 2006, I promptly added a 3" suspension lift and 33" tires to give it a tougher look.  Removing the factory running boards added to the lifted look as well.


From there, I swapped the stock orange turn signals and corner lights for clear replacements, added HID headlights, and threw a KargoMaster safari rack to the stock roof rails.  I left the engine stock except for a replacement muffler and exhaust tip for a deeper tone- the twin cam 4.5 liter six sounded far different from anything I've owned!


Inside, the factory leather and woodgrain was plenty luxurious enough for my taste.  However, I DID swap the factory radio for a Pioneer DVD navigation unit, and added new door speakers and a 12" subwoofer to make some noise...



Between the moderate lift, roof rack, and the fact that I NEVER took this highly capable rig off-road, my friends and co-workers dubbed this my Suburban Safari Vehicle!  As much as I really wanted to blast up some fire roads, flex the suspension out on some giant boulders, and traverse waist-deep snow runoff, I just couldn't bring myself to risk the near-perfect body and paint!


I sold this rig last year, and I still see it from time to time (I HATE selling cars locally- when they're not mine anymore I don't want to see anyone else enjoying them!).  The new owner has some great plans for it, and has actually gone on some mild trail runs... lucky bastard!
If you think an 80-series 'Cruiser might be right for you, head over to www.ih8mud.com for a TON of information, and some great deals on other people's pride and joy.  And if you DO decide to pick up a LandCruiser of your own, be sure to get it dirty every now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment