Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Moped Lives!

I got the Free Spirit running last week, and I've been tuning it and putting a few finishing touches on it since then.  I've also been riding it through the neighborhood, and it hasn't missed a beat! So, here's how it sits now:



What a blast to ride!  I've opened up the stock exhaust, and changed the jet inside the carb to increase the fuel flow, and at the moment it will max out the factory 30mph speedometer... with a long enough straightaway!




From what I've been reading on www.mopedarmy.com, one of the keys to getting more power out of these little 2-stroke engines is installing a tuned exhaust pipe.  That's pretty much the last piece on my shopping list to complete this thing- if I can get it to run up to around 35-40, I figure I can get around the local area pretty well!




It looks like most of the Sacramento moped "scene" is in the downtown/midtown area, so I'm hoping that I can inspire some suburban folks to get into these things, too- I know that my brother Sean seemed stoked when he rode it earlier this week, and that was before I had tuned the carburetor, so maybe I can convince him to pick one up!





Until next time, enjoy the spring weather, and get out and wrenching on your own custom projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment